Wednesday, December 5, 2012

social media meltdown

My blog, my baby, my heart....oh, how I've missed thee. Two and a half months since my last blog post...and that is absolutely unacceptable to me, as a writer.

Writing is my passion...my outlet. It's my coping mechanism, and here i am, NOT utilizing it for the past howEVERmany weeks.

I let myself be limited to 140 characters. I censored, and shortened my thoughts, to small snippets and increments. I began to think in shortened phrases. Then, after 9 months of continually tweeting...i began running out of things to say. It was like the well had dried up. I was REACHING for tweets, and pressuring myself to come up with good stuff...but i really came up short, here at the end. I can pretty much ALWAYS come up with an inspirational tweet, and to have been reaching for even THAT, here recently...that's when i knew i needed to take a break.

Twitter really did rule much of my life. I mean, i put my heart, soul, words, wits, and SELF into growing my twitter account. I tweeted EVERY day, for almost 9 months exactly. I interacted with people constantly, i tweeted, read tweets, and RT, and it probably took up 65 % of my day, overall.  I checked twitter last thing before i lay down at night, first thing in the morning when i get up, all through the day while i'm working, just....ALL the damn time. I was constantly trying to come up with tweets, steady trying to cover the gamut from funny, to raunchy, to inspirational. It was almost like a full time job for my brain, in addition to my real daytime job. Its mentally exhausting. Emotionally draining, even. It becomes an obsession, your main focus. Only a twitter-person can truly ever understand what i'm talking about, but the bottom line is....i got burned out. I scraped the bottom of the barrel.  I was coming up empty-handed.

So i stepped back. Granted, it's only been 2 days at this point, which is not much. And i expect many epiphanies and freedoms to come out of this learning experience  But ill most likely go back. I love the people on there too much....i love witnessing the amazing minds, and the things people come up with.

My twitter helped me through a very rough time in my life. It literally occupied me, kept me sane, and led me to some of the most amazing individuals that I've ever encountered. So i'm super grateful for it. And i look forward to returning, once i'm refreshed and ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment